Monday, October 3, 2016

Yoga Retreat in Ubud- Bali

Doggie down anyone? I must say that going to a retreat in Bali to do yoga and meditation theoretically was a nice, relaxing way to experience the wonders of this way of life that millions of people follow. So with our daughter Becky's arrival, that's what we did. 

I need to say upfront that I've never been in a yoga class in my life. I said to myself "how hard can it be?" with the meditation and chanting stuff. Here's a pic of me before the first session started:
                     
 
And here's a picture of the class:

Please note that none of them are smiling. Thinking back now, I wonder if they knew what was in store and I was merely a deer in headlights.

Let me be the first to say that you need to be flexible to do yoga. Like real flexible- and be able to put your feet and hands on the ground, go upside down into a half moon and stretch- like as if I could've done this in my twenties!

My assessment? I have a theory that I have formed about yoga people. I believe that people who do this for rest and relaxation are somehow unwittingly wanting to do bodily harm to themselves. And for me- the only part of this 1 1/2 'rest' is whether or not I would be able to get up off the damn floor!

I tried some pretzel- type arrangements with my body that required bending your legs and arms into unfathomable configurations. And when it was physically impossible for even the instructor to contort my body into something that doesn't even resemble humanity- well, let's just say I think he truly felt sorry for me.

Did I survive? You be the judge:
                              
 
Please notice the floor- I was the only one that the instructor gave 2 pillows and I could have kissed him! It's the doggy down that almost killed me. 

And to think I'm doing this again tomorrow. I think I have shit for brains. 

No comments:

Post a Comment